Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Surgery #2 Follow-up

Today I had a follow-up appointment with my surgeon (post-screw removal surgery). They took the wrapping off my leg and removed the two small stitches (which was a lot less painful than the staples the first time around). This was probably my last appointment at the hospital in my college town since next week is finals and I'll be moving out next Wednesday.

After they removed the stitches, I talked with my surgeon and asked him what kinds of exercises I could do. He just said to keep stretching it, maybe do the bike/elliptical at the gym, etc. He said I can try running (which doesn't seem like good advice...right?) and I'll be back to normal running in 3-4 months...so around July/August?

My leg is feeling really good! The last time I used crutches was Saturday in the morning for breakfast. I had an orchestra concert Saturday night, which I walked to without crutches. Sunday I felt pretty good as well, so I didn't use crutches that day. And finally for the first time since February, I was able to walk to classes without crutches on this Monday! I even walked back to campus from the hospital today after my appointment was done. It's about a 10 minute walk and the weather was great today (in the 70s!) so I thought I'd just walk back to my dorm.

My ankle still feels sore/stiff but my limp is getting less noticeable. I still walk slower than normal but I feel my calf getting stronger and my range of motion is a little better. Right now I just have a sterile strip over my most recent incision (where the stitches were) that will fall off by itself, and I have a big bandaid over that.



So I guess from here on out, I can start working more on flexibility and walking! It's a great feeling to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel (especially now that I'm off crutches FOR GOOD)! I have two physical therapy appointments in my hometown when I get back from college, then I leave for the BWCA on May 14th. This year went by so fast! Let's hope this healing process goes quick too.

No comments:

Post a Comment