Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Post-Cast with Walking Boot

March 26, 2013: Almost 8 weeks since the break, almost 7 weeks post-operation, and a little over 5 weeks with the cast. I went to the doctor and got X-rays again. The fracture is all healed up, but the torn ligament takes 10 weeks to heal. That means about four more weeks until walking is an option.

I had the cast taken off and was given a walking boot (the same boot I was given the first day I went in after breaking my ankle). I am still using crutches, but can apply 50% of my weight to my injured leg. I sleep with the boot off. I have very limited range of motion (ROM) right now, but was able to go to the gym and use the stationary bike without pain. I did the bike for 30 minutes, then did some arm and ab exercises. I am going back to see the doctor in four weeks. 

At that point, I have to decide whether I want a "minor" procedure done to take the big screw out of my ankle. If I don't get it taken out now, it will eventually break inside my bone and can never come out. According to my doctor, this is not a big deal and should not affect me. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to get it taken out. Recovery is minimal; the doctor said I could walk the next day with minor pain/discomfort.


My right leg is significantly smaller than my left leg. I lost a lot of muscle.

The doctor said to leave on the strips over the incision until they fall off. 

I can feel the metal plate on my ankle... it's a lot firmer than my other leg.





I went to the gym around 9:30pm, so I had been walking a lot that day. My ankle got a little more swollen throughout the day. Walking on it with the boot on initially felt like needles on the bottom of my foot. I still fit into my tennis shoe though! :)

1 comment:

  1. Just went through almost exact situation...i did have screw out and no big deal. Here it is 9 months later and still tingly feeling on ankle and cant really touch it much, feel the plate :( but bright side; I can walk again.

    ReplyDelete