Wednesday, March 27, 2013

ORIF Surgery

I had Open Reduction with Internal Fixation (ORIF) ankle surgery on February 6th, 2013 -- five days after I broke my ankle. The surgery was early in the morning and took 30-60 minutes. I was put under for the operation and was free to leave the hospital a few hours after surgery. The doctors put my leg in a splint and I went home from college for two weeks.

The surgeon said the bad news about my break was not the fracture itself, but rather the torn ligament. Ligaments take much longer to heal (about 10 or more weeks). I also had a gap between my fibula and tibia bones. If I had not gotten this operation done, I would have acquired arthritis in my ankle at a young age. The doctor put a plate with nine screws on my fibula. There are eight littler screws on the fibula and one longer screw that connects my fibula and tibia together so as to close the gap. The only part that can ever be removed in the future (if I choose to have it removed) is the one long screw. The rest stays in for life.


X-ray post-operation. One plate and nine screws on my right ankle.
The pain the night and few days following the operation was excruciating. I had been given vicodin to take every few hours. I was in constant pain and hardly slept at all those days. I was completely NWB and was told to elevate my leg as much as possible (above the heart or higher). Standing up was painful when the blood would rush to my leg. It was throbbing pain and even taking little steps with the walker was difficult and intense pain. I eventually weaned myself off the pain killers after a few days. Standing up and using the walker was still slow and difficult, but eventually I only needed advil.




1 comment:



  1. Dr.Micheal Nirenburg at friendly foot care is the most recognized and experienced podiatrist surgeon in Northwest Indiana. He has a vast and professional experience in handling all kinds of foot and ankle cases and he has also expertise in forensic podiatrist.

    Podiatrist Northwest Indiana

    ReplyDelete