Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Thank you!

I started this blog thinking it would be a personal blog for myself to keep track of my progress. After these past few months though, and after seeing the page views increase exponentially, it makes me happy to know people are reading my blog and hopefully learning something about this kind of injury, surgery, and healing process.

I'd like to thank those of you who have taken the time to comment and write to me about your own personal stories. When I found out I had to get surgery, I immediately got on the internet (I know, not the best idea...there are some scary stories out there, right?), and had trouble finding personal stories of this kind of surgery. I'm glad this blog has been of help for others or has at least given some basic information about the healing process after ORIF surgery.

I haven't had to live through much pain in my life. I'm only 19 years old and this was my first broken bone. I think the most pain I experienced in my life prior to this was probably when I had to get a tooth pulled when I was a kid. I now have much more sympathy and understanding for people who have to use a wheelchair, crutches, wear a boot or cast for months, and get any kind of surgery like this. It was a scary thing for me to go through, and I'm sure it's scary for others.

So for those of you who are going through this, know that it does get better. Sometimes I might be pessimistic about my injury and healing process, but I think that's a natural part of the healing process--the mental part. Being positive and having positive people around me really helped. Some days are much harder than others, both mentally and physically. It does get better though. Maybe not 100%, but I'm thankful I can walk and run and do everyday activities. Keep your heads up! My thoughts go out to all of you readers who are experiencing this. Feel free to ask any questions, and best of luck!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,

    Thank you so much for sharing.. Since I came across your blog and videos after I broke my ankle last May 1st, your story guided me during the milestones of my ankle recovery. Its 3 weeks now since I let go of the crutches, and I can walk longer hours independently.

    I am just wondering if you've had problem coming down the stairs - particularly feeling pain on flexion if you step down with the good foot first?

    Also, if not too much to ask - I hope you could upload videos of stretch exercises and rehab that you did post screw removal.

    You have been an awesome help to my recovery!

    Cheers,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rose,

    That's so great to hear! Getting off crutches was one of the best spirit-lifting experiences after the surgery. And YES, I had so much trouble getting down stairs. Going up was not bad, but going down felt awkward. My ankle couldn't bend as far as it needed to in order to go down stairs, so I would kind of step sideways until my flexibility got better. I did feel pain too when I went down stairs, so I think that's normal to go through. It gets much better though; I have no problem with stairs now!

    I will definitely upload videos of my exercises! I was planning on doing a video sometime, but just haven't gotten around to it. I'll try to get that in my next post. So glad to hear you're on the mend! Best of luck to you! :)

    ReplyDelete